East-Midlands Councils: Councillor Development – induction programme 2019 – 20
East Midlands Councils (EMC) provides a comprehensive, value for money Councillor Development programme for member councils in the East Midlands. This week EMC has published our induction programme offering for authorities, designed to support and complement local authorities own induction programmes.
Supporting Councillors is a key area of our work, as part of this we offer;
- A tailored programme of policy briefing events for Councillors in the East Midlands
- A weekly briefing service with the latest digested news for local government
- Skills workshops delivered at our headquarters in Melton Mowbray, along with a number hosted by local authorities
- across the East Midlands
- The East Midlands Regional Councillor Development Charter assessment and support
- Councillor Development Network
- A Scrutiny Network for practitioners
- Personal Development Planning for Councillors
EMC Programme of Skills Events and Conferences:
- Role of the Civic Head and Team, 22 May 2019-EMC is running an event on the Role of the Civic Head and Team.
- Mentoring for Mentees, 24 May 2019-EMC is holding two half day workshops for Councillors on Mentoring. The first session is for Councillors interested in having a Mentor. The aim of the session is to explain mentoring and the role of mentors in supporting newly elected Councillors or Councillors experiencing a new role.
- Mentoring skills for Mentors, 24 May 2019 13:30-for those interested in becoming a Mentor
- Chairing and effective meetings, 18 June 2019-EMC working in partnership with Newark and Sherwood District Council to offer 2 Chairing skills workshops on 18 June 2019. Sessions are at 14:00 and 18:00
- Chairing and Facilitation Skills Councillors, 18 September 2019-EMC working in partnership with Blaby District Council is running a half day Chairing and Facilitation Skills workshop for Councillors. The training is to be delivered by Nelson Training, an award winning drama based training company. Sessions are at 13:30 and 17:30
- East Midlands Scrutiny Conference, 4 October 2019-A full day conference to support both Councillors and Officers that are involved in overview and scrutiny.
- Read Faster with Greater Understanding, 9 October 2019-EMC is holding a half day workshop for Councillors ‘Read Faster with Greater Understanding’.
- An Introduction to Commissioning for Elected Members, 7 November 2019-EMC is offering Councillors the opportunity to take part in an introduction to commissioning for elected members workshop on 7 November.
- Advanced financial scrutiny skills, 21 November 2019-EMC is working with the Centre for Public Scrutiny to provide a full day workshop on advanced financial scrutiny skills.
- The Changing Landscape of Local Government Finance, 6 December 2019-The seminar will cover the emerging impact of major changes to local government finance.
- Public Speaking for Councillors, 22 Jan 2020-EMC is holding a half day workshop for Councillors on Public Speaking.
- Being an Effective Councillor: Strengthening and Sustaining Personal Resilience, 5 February 2020-EMC is running a half day Personal Resilience event for councillors.
For more information on all of these events please visit http://www.emcouncils.gov.uk/Councillor-Development-Events
Additional sessions will be added in due course.